I recorded Dad singing the Sirey Peaks song back in 1995, that is when it started. At that time we had a VHSC camcorder, and to save money on tapes, we would transfer them to VHS and reuse the camcorder tapes. A few years later, I wanted to convert it to a digital format so we could keep it for posterity, and found that the VHSC had been reused, so all I had was the VHS copy. At the time, I did not have the equipment to do the conversion myself. I talked to a friend at work who said his son was into that kind of stuff, and could do it for a small price. I gave him the VHS tape I had, and waited. A little while later, my friend said that his VCR would not play the tape properly. I thought it might have something to do with the tracking, so I got the tape back to check it out and found that he had rerecorded over most of the song, right in the middle. He is one of those kids that thinks he can multitask, like watch TV, play a computer game, eat, and record videos from analog to digital, all at the same time without having problems. Well, I was just sick about it when I realized what had happened, and that it was not just a VCR tracking problem. That was our only copy! I was talking to my wife about it, and we thought that we had made copies for some other people at the time we recorded it. We contacted several people in the family, to see if, by chance, someone still had a copy. Jason happened to have a copy and was able to find it, "Thank You, Jason". When I got it, it had some issues with tracking on the VCR I was using, and may have been a copy of a copy. I decided to take the first part, and the last part of the recording from my copy, and the middle portion, that was toast on my tape, from Jason's tape. Well, I recorded them, pasted them together, adjusted the volume to match, and the lighting to almost match. Some of the technology we have at our fingertips today is simply amazing. You can still tell where I pasted it together, but it is what I had. At least we have it so all can enjoy it, and I hope you do. If anyone has a better recording that they are hiding, let us know. Also, if you have fun or interesting memories about dad, and this song, please post comments, so all can enjoy. The only thing I found, was that Dad censored some of the lyrics from the original song, "Thanks Dad", now my kids can listen to it as well. Anyway, sorry, long story, here it is.
PS. After you watch the video, check out our Guatemala trip with the following link:
http://forsythbakersdozen.blogspot.com/2008/05/guatemala-trip.html
Where did the Month of November go????
14 years ago
1 comment:
Thanks Honey, It was fun to listen to it again. Some of the kids have not seen it before, I was surprised.
Post a Comment